Blogiarhiiv

12/20/2017

Thierry Massard – A EN TIO (2012)



  • Drone 
  • Old school industrial 
  • Avant-garde 
  • Experimentalism 
  • Leftfield 
  • Microtonal 
  • Abstract 
  • Electronic music 
  • Non-music 
  • Psycho-acoustic

Comment: I guess I made first acquaintance with the Frenchman Thierry Massard in 2009 while I started with the blog. It was a merry time within the blogosphere in general, including those blogs dedicated to free music mavericks. I can remember for a couple of blogs by him, one of them having spot on the nature and personality of artists through a fixed questionnaire. Later on, I discovered him as a musician who recorded his first music already at the end of the 70s (his birth year is 1959). I recommend reading my interview with him where he had shed light upon his doings and intentions behind his musical deeds. At A EN TIO he continues his initial impulse through the creation of abstract, austere soundscapes based on rough drones and abrasive yet restrained electronic music. Although it was issued 5 years ago it can be considered a pure instance of the old school industrial movement. I am always thrilled while listening to such sort of sound. It chimes in a very authentic way having clearly no rivalled counterparts from today. I guess this 3-notch release is also recorded with the same equipment he had been doing approximately 4 decades ago. It is a part of the discography of the Portuguese imprint Editora do Porto.